I read through an article the other day, one by the Huffington Post entitled “What Acclaimed Authors Love About Writing” and it was really inspiring and heart-warming, which made me want to share it with all of you, in celebration of Valentine’s Day! What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than honoring our love of writing.
I thought I would share some of my favorite responses. Here it goes:
1. Tess Gerritsen: I love being able to indulge my curiosity. Many of my stories come about because I want to know more about a particular subject. I get a chance, to be somebody else. I’ve written about the NASA space program; I spent two years pretending I was an astronaut. I wrote a book about Egyptology and got to explore archaeology. Writing Playing with Fire, I got to explore World War II Italy. ~ Talking about her novel, Playing with Fire.
2. Tami Hoag: Aside from the fact that I can go to work dressed like a vagrant, the thing I love most is hearing back from readers when a book has helped them in some way. I recently received a letter from a young man in prison. He said he had never read a book from cover to cover. He had dyslexia. In prison, he had nothing else to do, and picked up one of my books. Now, he’s a reader. It’s such an incredible feeling to realize you’ve impacted someone’s life like that. It’s such a wonderful validation. ~ Talking about her novel, Cold, Cold Heart
3. Jayne Ann Krentz: I just love seeing a scene come together on the page. I live from scene to scene. If I actually sat down and thought about the fact that I’ve got five hundred pages to go, I’d be doomed before I started. Each scene, for me, is a little story unto itself. When I get that scene just right, I feel so good. ~ Talking about her novel, Trust No One.
4. Lisa Gardner: I love that magical moment when it all comes together in a way I couldn’t ever have imagined. I always think of writing as a giant leap of faith. There’s that ‘Ah ha’ moment when things just fall into place. Those days are amazing and precious. The art takes over, it all comes together, and I’ve actually completed a novel despite myself. ~ Talking about her novel, Crash and Burn
5. Faye Kellerman: I love the ability to let my mind explore whatever it wants. When you write it down, it has to be informed and make sense. But if you have an imagination, you can go everywhere. I love that—the inception—having a germ of an idea and building upon it. You can do whatever you want with it. Many writers would say you can play God. ~Talking about her novel, Murder 101
I love writing because it gives me an escape from the world. Because it gives me something to be excited about, to dream about, and be in awe about. I feel good about everything when I write! Why do you love writing?
CHALLENGE: List 5 reasons you love to write and hang it somewhere you can see it every day. I hope that this will be motivation enough to get you writing every day! Even fifteen minutes a day is something! You can do it!
Huffington Post: What Acclaimed Authors Love About Writing